Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Summer Fever

I have summer fever really really bad. I'm sick of the rainy and the cold and being stuck inside doing boring housework. (It doesn't take much for me to get sick of doing housework though-I wish I could do it once and be done!) The boys love being outside and on the rare nice days have been riding bikes, jumping on the trampoline and just playing outside. Cameron and Kimball even rode their bikes together down to the park by themselves! It's only 1/2 mile away but I think they are finally getting old enough to go (in twos of course) places by themselves. Trenton wasn't too happy about being left behind. And Sam naturally got on his little trike and tried to follow them. But then we have had a cold streak and I'm sick of the indoors. I have looked at the weather and this weekend is supposed to be sunny and warm so we will definitely be out!
Cameron and Kimball have just gone back to school on Monday after being off-track for 3 weeks. When the kids are fighting constantly, it sure seems like 3 weeks is an eternity. Thankfully, we set up a chart and some rules (that they helped to make) with rewards and consequences and that has been helping. I have noticed less name-calling and hitting lately. Cameron and Kimball are trying to stay in control of themselves and some weeks are learning weeks and others are successful weeks. I think it helps that one person always get the reward so it shows the two others-look what you could have had and maybe if you are good this week then you can get a slurpee like me. Sam of course doesn't have a chart but he has been spending less time in time out than he was a little while ago.
This was at the dino museum.
This was at the children's museum.
The boys and I went to a childrens museum and as a family we went to the dinosaur museum. The first time we went to the dino place-they were all disappointed that there weren't REAL dinosaurs, just bones. This time they were expecting bones and had a great time digging for dinos in a sand exhibit. The next day I took them to the "sand" park and they played nicely together in the sand for almost two hours. (In case you are wondering what I do during that time-I don't sit and watch and be bored, I watch and bring a book-then they can spend TONS of time. I don't think I would be able to just sit and sit and sit. ) We did have more sand on them and in the car than I think is at any beach but it was worth it. I think Trent misses them now that they are back in school-Sam is fun but you know..he is a little brother.
I would also like to say that I have been struggling with the boys fighting all the time-makes me feel like a terrible mom. But then I remember that it took me a long time to get along with my brother Steve (who loved/s to argue--wonder why it was difficult to get along with someone who loves to argue!) but finally we became friends. And NOW, I never fight with him. It helps that we live on opposite ends of the United States and he only talks to me when people get married-and we won't be talking any time soon because everyone is already married. (We really do get along well-but I can't say Steve talks to me that often. Probably because I talk all the time...)So there's hope for my children getting along someday.
I've continued my exercise program but have started running a little bit. I thought I hated it before-but I must have been going too fast because NOW I enjoy running. It's hard for me-I find myself stopping and walking a bit to catch my breath even though I really am just jogging-but I can run two miles straight without stopping. For me, that is really a feat. I'm working on getting three miles in--and then I want to up it from there. I have a few friends who want me to do a half marathon(13miles)--but I'm not convinced that I can do that in two months. I'm going to keep working on running and hopefully I'll be in better shape and be able to do a race. Another thing is-I do NOT like running on the treadmill...that is partly why the weather bugs me. I would like to be outside exercising. I would really like to lay the blame on my sister in law Lori for getting me to run. (in reality, a lot of women I exercise with have been encouraging me to run) She is such an inspiration--she did a triathalon last year- and she has kept running. (She looks great by the way). So I would like to have the confidence that she has (or fakes-but I can't tell the difference) and run too. Thanks Lori-It's all your fault I want to be a better person. Anyway-that's about it for us here-plugging along and trying to finish out the school year and get ready for birthdays, vacations and so on.
Cameron...with slurpee

Sam riding the dino
Trenton Driving!!!???
Kimball being tough
Digging in the sand, Trent and Sam

No comments: