We had a wonderful Christmas program today in Sacrament meeting. Our choir director is awesome. She asked me and another girl to accompany the choir in two Christmas songs on our violins. Of course--I love doing that stuff...and strangely, when I told her that I would be willing to play anytime and that I was happy she asked me (I really mean it too--I like to) she started to cry. Anyway, the Spirit was really there as we tried to grasp the true meaning of Christmas. I really love to listen to people who are musically gifted with their voice. One girl sang Mary's Lullaby and I can't even describe how beautiful she sang. It was awesome.
And it's the season to seemingly buy people presents and go over budget and so on. This year we have really tried to cut back on spending--mostly because airfare has taken its toll on our independently wealthy status--and since we are not set on spending my fathers fortune (we are out of the will anyway it seems) it has been mostly stress-free. I told the boys that we were traveling this year and that we were only giving a few gifts and some things they need. It's funny how when they see a catalog they want everything-but when really pressed, there are only certain things they would spend their own money on. (Isn't everyone like that?) We have gone to Deseret Industries and found some great deals--off the subject-I found TWO nice plywood made little rocking chsirs (read: industructable) that only need to be painted. Sam loves his and Trent has claimed the other. They were only 3 dollars each! Amazing. So Shawn and I found some deals, then we also got some things they needed...but the majority of our time has been spent at home hanging out together.
Aside from the regular sibling fighting, it's been fun to read together, watch movies, play games (computer and other) and just relax together. The stress of getting the perfect gift is gone. (Tranlation: there really are no perfect gifts until after Christmas when you realize what you could have bought) I did find a fun gift for my mother that reminded me of when I was little and used to sing an annoying song (I never thought it was annoying-but I'm sure the others around me were plenty sick of it). I think simplifying is the way to go.
The man who spoke in church today mentioned that he and his wife wished they had simplified this year because amid all the shopping, they didn't feel like they had any time as a family. I think we are going to do this every year (I don't mean keep the airlines in business single-handedly but simplifying). Now, in my Christmas letter, I did mention that the season feels rushed-it feels like time is just flying by-with children in school, trying to keep up on housework, keep Sam from dumping things and playing with water or his new favorite-the fireplace, callings, special musical numbers, practicing piano, helping Kimball learn to read...etc. It's just life coming at me a million miles an hour. I think that's why I have enjoyed the simpleness of NOT shopping fro gazillion presents we don't need, going to endless parties while trying to keep children from destroying others homes (sorry mom and dad, you are going to have to really sam-proof your house) and just the general rush of everything. I have enjoyed going to Temple Square with my family--ok ok, it was fun after we got home--trying to keep boys away from snow and water is NOT that great-but the lights were beautiful as usual and no one fell into a fountain and got soaked or slipped on ice and broke a body part--and then making cookies, and brownies and toffee bars.
I guess we really haven't done much-but it's been fun to spend the time hanging out at home-doing the games, reading and of course-where do you think all the cookies, brownies and toffee bars went? YUM YUM.
Merry Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment